Monday, February 16, 2015

Rent vs.Buy

For 10 years, I worked in Property Management in Lawrence, KS.  If you have rented an apartment or townhome during the past decade here in town, chances are, we've met!

I truly loved working with people who were looking for a home to rent.  Discovering their needs, touring a variety of floorplans and locations, listening to their concerns and wants and finding a place where they could be happy~these were the moments that made me tick!  And I think I was good at my job.  I hope, anyway :)

Every year in January, we would begin the process of asking our current residents if they were considering a lease renewal for the upcoming lease term.  In Lawrence, leases generally begin and end in August to revolve around the college schedule.  It might seem like January is awfully early to start asking people their plans for the following August...but in a college town, it's a reality.  Although I don't posses the reports to give you exact numbers, I would venture to guess that most years, about 50% of our communities would renew their lease with us.  Often we would lose residents because they were moving out of state or leaving college or had lost roommates.  Some people were just ready for a change.  I was supposed to combat any objections to not re-signing a lease.  That was my job.  And honestly, I truly hoped and wanted people to stay because I wanted to give them a positive experience in their rental home.  The one objection that I never wanted to attempt to overcome was when they were leaving because they were purchasing a home.  I was happy for them!

This year, I'm working from the other side of the fence.  I'd like you to consider NOT renewing your lease and buy your own home!

This is such a big decision and I would be honored to be a part of the process with you and for you.

If your lease ends in July or August...NOW is the time to start the process of purchasing.  I know it seems early...but I know your landlord is asking you to renew your lease, too!



Getting pre-approved for your home loan is your very first and probably most important step.  You'll want to know your price range before you seriously start looking at houses.  Don't forget:  you can always look at homes that are below your loan approval amount.  In fact...I encourage it!  Just because you are approved for $150,000 doesn't mean you have to spend that amount!!


Talk to your bank or ask your friends and family about their lender experiences.  You can also ask me about local lenders.  I've worked with and met several right here in Lawrence and in KC.  They are super nice people and will work hard to get you quick answers.  Don't be nervous or intimidated because they are there to help you.

After you are pre-approved, let's get together to talk about your ultimate goal:  finding your perfect home.  We'll work together to find and tour homes.  It'll be fun!  I promise!!

Today is Februrary 15, 2015.  If you think you are serious about buying a home this year, now is the time to decide just how serious you are.

That way you can start talking to lenders about your loan on March 1st.

Then we can start your search by April 1st!

You'll want to close your purchase as early as June or mid-July.  Right now, most deals take about 45 days from offer to closing date.

And then~


Contact me in any way that you're most comfortable-
call me  785-207-0142
text me  785-207-0142
email me  haslerheather@gmail.com
facebook  HeatherHaslerHomesForSale
We can meet up anytime!


Here are some links that talk about buying vs. renting your home:

http://www.newtopias.com/millennials-700000-mistake/


http://www.millersamuel.com/press/should-you-buy-or-should-you-rent-in-2015/

Use a mortgage calculator for some preliminary number cruching:

http://www.heatherhaslerhomesforsale.com/#!useful-tools/c9gb




Thanks for reading and don't forget you can connect with me on social media, too!
  










3 comments:

  1. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  2. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Well renting a home is a big headache. I would prefer buying own home rather than renting. You know I have decided to invest in Arizona Luxury Real Estate as I am going to start my new business in Arizona.

    ReplyDelete